Monday, August 4, 2008

Nairobi to Kampala

So its been an eventful five days.

I just arrived in Kampala a few hours ago, have gotten a hot shower, and my clothes are in the laundry. I will give a good day by day run through of the last 5 or 6 days.

July 31
I left Nairobi pretty early to go to Narok. This is a small town about 3 hours southwest of Nairobi. My friend Ester put me in touch with some people she was with there last year. It was kind of fun arriving, and having no idea who was going to be there, or what I was going to do. Morinke, Ester's friend, met me at the post office there. We spent the rest of the day walking around town, and meeting a couple different groups of people. The first were a couple who are doing work with orphans and impoverished people in Narok. The second were people working at Narok Bible College.

This second part was the main reason I wanted to get down and spend a day in town. They have a pretty nice facility there, but its really underfunded, so its understaffed, underenrolled, underused, and generally performing under potential. This is no fault of anyone there; they are just trying to get things up and running again. It was build in the 40's and 50's by a missionary couple, but has since been revitalized by a native denomination.

We went to a fellowship meeting at Morinke's church. There was a guest pastor there, whose main point was that if someone is going to be a preacher they need to look sharp and wear a tie. Unfortunately he probably learned that from some stupid American.

I got a chance to have dinner with the principal, and we talked about the school, and his plans to get things up and running. His name was Steve, and was a really nice guy.

I spent the night in a guest house on campus.

August 1st
The next morning Morinke took me back to his place for breakfast (Tea and bread) and hung out in town. His house is here: S 1 5.050 E 35 52.439 (I didn't get them from the school, but it should be about 1km directly south of Morinke's house) We had a really good time. His English was really good, which means that I could joke around. My sense of humor does not translate well. So that was good.

I got a tour of the Bible College from Steve, and then headed back into town to meet my ride.

I really enjoyed the short time I got to stay in Narok. Also, I started getting a cold.

The safari vehicle got into town around 2ish, and it was awesome! I was joining a group, so I didn't know what to expect there. I wasn't sure if it would be Korean tourists who didn't speak English, Americans ready to party the whole time, or what? It turned out to be a whole gang of Europeans, none of whom were traveling in groups larger than two. We all ended up getting along great.

I have just been informed that I need to give up the computer. :(

So here is the quick story: I spent most of the safari hanging out with two girls from Belgium, who were incredibly fun and funny, and made the whole time great. We had a bad breakdown the second day and spent six hours stuck. But we still saw: Lions hunting Zebras, Wildebeast crossing the Mara river in front of crocodiles, crocodiles, cheetah, giraffe, vultures, water-buffalo, hippos, elephants, every imaginable kind of gazelle/deer, and hundreds of literally thousands of wildebeast and zebra. all in all: every zoo (at least the Africa part) is now ruined for me because it was so sweet. I took lots of pictures. Also, i visited Tanzania for 10 minutes (it borders the park) putting my country total for this trip at a whomping FIVE!

Quickly, i went back to nairobi, and quickly I arrived here. The bus trip was pretty miserable, but faster than expected. I am now in Kampala. Tomorrow I leave for Sudan. If you want to know more about my safari, you will have to wait!

Quick GPS SAFARI!!!
my tent S 1 27.429 E 35 12.933
middle of masaai mara S 1 30.944 E 35 3.012
border kenya/tanzania S 1 33.291 E 35 1.462 (this may be the farthest point from home on the trip)
The brutal breakdown S 1 32.203 E 35 1.203

Nairobi to Kampala
bus station in nairobi S 1 16.934 E 36 49.481
nakuru S 0 17.388 E 36 3.045
kisumu S 0 6.042 E 34 45.078
I slept through the equator :(
border of kenya/uganda N 0 27.913 E 34 5.968
FRM guest house, Kampala: TBA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when you joke in English, the jokes don't translate well. Just thought I'd let you know.

The funnier one,
Chris

Brandon Barr said...

So cool!

Is the trip inspiring a possible Memoir??

"Travels with Raymond: Africa, God, and wildebeasts"

Anonymous said...

So you were pretty much in 3 different countries this past weekend. Nice!

Jeff and Aimee said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures in Africa. I'm gonna miss this when it's all over. :(
Aimee