Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kampala

Its been pretty relaxed here in Kampala. I have been hanging out with my friend Rusty, who used to live here. He started a university ministry which has since grown both in width and depth. They also have a bible study program that enrolls thousands. It seems to be a great system. 

The guest house I am staying in is here: N 00 17.764 E 32 36.780

Yesterday we went out to see a food distribution. We were out in the slums here: N 00 18.304 E 32 39.348

They plant home churches by bringing in a bunch of food, doing a worship service, and giving everyone a free meal. One of the things I have been praying about since being here is a good attitude toward poverty. Its not easy. By Western standards, everyone here is living in poverty. By African standards, people are getting by: life as usual. So what do I do with the money in my pocket?

Also, because I have no personal experience in this area, I don't know how much good it does to use material lures to attract people to a spiritual message. Jesus seemed to turn people away when He knew they came with such a motivation. He didn't heal everyone, and He fed the 5000 once and when they came back for more He sent them away hungry with a stern rebuke. 

More thinking to do....

The next two days will be long, both because I won't be busy and because I am really looking forward to being home. The final stretch is always the longest. 

Oh yeah, I got sick yesterday, and I don't really know what the trouble is. I threw up a couple of times, but now I am feeling OK. Whatever. Bodies are stupid. Pray for that anyway.

Okay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next two days will most definitely be the longest, but we're more than ready to have you home! You'll be here soon, Ray! :]

Brandon Barr said...

I wish you were coming home to Redlands...but I guess I'll have to wait for Christmas. At least I'll be able to call you.

Anonymous said...

ditto to Brandon!